Moms really don’t get days off. Let’s face it. Our job is 24/7 365 days a year. Not complaining. But it does get a little hard at times. What do you do when you are in pain or not feeling good and just functioning like a normal human being is difficult? Some moms are in constant pain from illnesses or injuries. My heart goes out to you! How do we as moms function and press through when we aren’t at our best?
I recently have been experiencing some severe headaches. Not just a light headache. The kind that sends you spinning from the pain. I know that the weather changing is one of the triggers for these headaches. The pain that I get is just overwhelming and sends me into cranky mom mode and guilty mom at the same time. It’s not a once in a while thing, so I need to have a plan in place to help myself the next time a headache hits.
1. Be realistic. You are not super human. You have limits. Don’t think you can always just push through and be fine. Know your breaking point and stay away from it.
2. Know your priorities. Get what you absolutely need to get done. Don’t waste time on Facebook or try to do 10 loads of laundry. Make peanut butter & jelly for dinner and don’t feel bad!
3. Recruit help. Have a friend that you can call that you can exchange help with when mommy is struggling. All you have to do is ask. Moms can be so stubborn and not ask for help! (Raise my hand in shame….)
4. Communicate you are in pain. It is not always obvious that you are not feeling your best. Tell your family, even the kids, that you aren’t feeling good. Don’t get upset if they don’t guess that you aren’t okay.
5. Find alternative ways to help with the pain or sooth the symptoms. I recently found Essential Oils as a great way to naturally sooth pain and help with other symptoms. (My sister can give you a lot of information and resources on Essential Oils over at Uluwehi Lifestyles) Maybe for you it’s taking a cold shower or getting some fresh air.
Bonus Tip: PRAY! I know this is the obvious one. But I find so much strength in prayer. Sometimes I just have to ask the Lord for enough strength to get through the morning to nap time! He always sees me through.
I hope that you find relief and healing from the chronic pain or sickness that you have been experiencing! May God give you grace to continue being a great Mommy!
What are some ways you deal with pain?