It’s that time of year again…. the air is starting to get crisp and everyone is talking about pumpkin spice lattes and apple pies. And I must admit that I have even thought about how in the world I am going to fit everyone at our dining room table for Thanksgiving Dinner in just a few months!
Things have been settling in our home and I am happy we are back to routines. The oldest two have started 2nd grade and Kindergarten. They are in a new school and we are so happy with their new teachers and the learning environment which the staff has worked hard to create. There are still FOUR kids at home during the day… (whew!) So, I am working on keeping them busy in the morning and doing a little celebration if I can get all four to take a nap at the same time in the afternoon!!! (YAY!)
This time of year I get the urge to bake! And bake and bake and BAKE! It’s finally not too hot to have the oven on. Of course, on the top of my list of favorite things to bake is BREAD! Homemade bread is just soooooooo good! If you think making homemade bread is too difficult you are so wrong. Start with an easy quick bread like this one. No kneading or waiting for it to “double in size.” This Dark Chocolate Zucchini bread is a cross between a cake and a bread. I love that it is stuffed full of veggies!
I promise when this bread comes out of the oven you will have to swat away little hands to allow it to cool.
There were actually two sets of hands…. Can’t wait to be able to post pics of our newest three year old!
- 3 1/2 cups grated Zucchini
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Unsweetened Cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Unsalted Butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 3/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Place grated zucchini in strainer over a bowl. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. This will allow excess water to drain.
- Mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until all lumps are gone.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, butter, coffee granules, and vanilla.
- Add zucchini to wet ingredients.
- Stir in dry ingredients until just combined.
- Pour into to greased 9 inch bread pans.
- Bake at 350˚ for 45-50 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Just trust me…. You can eat this bread and it feels like cake. And the dark chocolate… well, let’s just say you will LOVE it! Brew some coffee and take a mommy break.
Happy Coffee and Chocolate Break!