It’s January. And it’s a New Year! And of course, that means, resolutions. Making a line-by-line, bulleted and numbered list of New Year’s Resolutions in January is sooooo not happing! I have enough lists in my life already!
“To Do” Lists, Grocery Lists, Cleaning Lists, and the “list” goes on!
This year, I am choosing a One Word Resolution for 2016. That word is FOCUS!
Have you heard of One Word Resolutions? Instead of listing all kinds of itemized resolutions, you choose a word to inspire you, challenge you, and apply in multiple ways in your life. This word will demand from you to change in ways you deeply desire. It will inspire commitment and hard work. It will give purpose and meaning for the entire YEAR! One word at the forefront of your mind.
There were several words I considered for myself this year. Rest was at the top of the list for consideration for a few moments, as I am starting out this new year a bit on the tired side (thanks to a few sick kids and the holidays). Purpose became a possibility as Jon and I talked about some things we will be doing on purpose this year in plans for our families future. Give was a consideration, but that left me feeling a little exhausted, as I already feel like I am giving a lot as a mom. (not that it’s a bad thing!) But none of these words and even some of the other words on my list seemed to really stand out or inspire me.
And then Focus came to mind…
The word Focus encompasses so many areas in my life right now. It inspires me in new and exciting ways. This word challenges me to think and get creative. It keeps me on track with my long term goals without missing today. No doubt, Focus is my one word resolution for 2016!
- Focus on Myself – It’s not easy to make myself a priority when there are so many little people demanding and frankly, needing my attention and help. I am resolved to focus on my needs and take care of myself this year, which will in turn help me to be a better woman, mom, wife, and friend.
- Focus on my Marriage – My marriage is really great! Jon and I are so crazy about each other and we are best friends. But I know that I want to grow even more together as a couple! I want to keep our relationship hot, healthy, and strong. I am going to focus on my husband and make sure that we stay together as a team.
- Focus on my Children – This one is specific for me. My children get a LOT of my attention. I do a LOT for them. But I want to take more time in 2016 to focus on their little faces. See them clearly without distraction. I want to take mental pictures of the fun and crazy times I am experiencing in this crazy Motherhood journey.
- Focus on my God – I can’t leave out my relationship with God. I want to focus in on my heart and making it close to His and allowing Him to keep my heart at peace this entire year.
- Focus on our Future – Jon and I are dreamers. We really love to plan and dream about the future for our family and ourselves. We are not content to just stay the same as we are today. We have nailed down a few “for sure” things that we want in our future and I am determined to stay focused on those dreams and to work hard to achieve them.
- Focus on the Present – I know that we will never get to our future dreams and goals without today. I can get overwhelmed with all of the steps it will take to get to those dreams, but I don’t have to worry about every single step if I just focus on the present and the step that needs to be taken today.
- Focus on my personal Goals – I love that I have a husband who challenges me to have my own personal goals and dreams. I really love writing and storytelling and plan on continuing forward in my blogging journey to some pretty big personal goals! It can be discouraging some days when you don’t see progress, but I will FOCUS on my goals and be ready to take a few risks of my own.
Now you know my One Word Resolution for 2016. It is so much more than a word! It is a mindset. It is an inspiration of thought and determination. I am excited for the possibilities this year has. I think it will be an amazing year and I plan on Focusing in on every single moment.
Happy New Year,