To say that our family is excited about Strawberry season is an UNDERSTATEMENT!!! With six children who are obsessed with strawberries in our home we go through a LOT of strawberries! One normal box of strawberries is gone, GONE in one small snack time. The kids are of the opinion that one can never eat too many strawberries at one sitting.
Since I found a local produce market that sells produce whole sale, my budget is a lot more happy with large berry purchases. On to making all things strawberry!
There is no better combination than strawberries and chocolate! While chocolate covered strawberries are a favorite. They aren’t as kid friendly. So I set out to make an easy chocolate covered strawberry pie. And oh man… did it every turn out amazing!!!
You can make this pie with a traditional pie crust, a graham cracker crust, or go for the top and do an Cookies & Cream crust! I may have gotten out a bit of aggression pounding on the cookies to crust them.
The chocolate filling is thick and has more of a dark chocolate taste. I am obsessed with dark chocolate! There has to always be a stash of good dark chocolate in the house. It is vital to the mommyhood survival.
Are you a dark chocolate or milk chocolate kind of person? (either way, we can still be best friends!)
I was also thrilled to be able to lick the beaters myself. As I made this pie during nap time. Licking the beaters makes me feel like a kid!
- 20-25 Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- 4 tbsp melted Butter
- Pulse cookies in a food processor or place in a plastic bag and pound to crumbs with a rolling pin.
- Stir melted butter into cookies.
- Press cookie mixture into pie plate.
- Bake at 350˚ for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before adding filling.
- 1 (14 oz) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 4 oz melted Unsweetened Chocolate (or 90% cocoa dark chocolate)
- 1 (3.9 oz) box Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- 1 1/2 cups Half n Half
- Combine sweetened condensed milk and melted chocolate in a medium mixing bowl.
- Whip half n half and pudding mix with electric beaters or in a stand mixer until thick.
- Continue whipping pudding mixture as you pour in melted chocolate mixture.
- Whip on high until thick.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
THE CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY TOPPING:
- 3 cup of Strawberries (hulled and halved or quartered)
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4 oz Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Heat cream in a small saucepan on stove. Do NOT bring to a boil.
- When cream is just scalding, pour over chocolate.
- Stir to melt chocolate. (The chocolate will clump at first, but keep stirring.)
- When smooth and shiny your ganache is ready.
- Arrange strawberries over the top of your pie.
- Drizzle chocolate over strawberries and pie.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve cold.
I am telling you that this pie is TO DIE for!!!! The perfect summer dessert. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. I have already been asked to make another for a birthday coming up!