Have leftover chicken? Turn them into easy baked chicken taquitos.
If there is one thing I WANT extra leftovers on, it’s chicken. Shredded chicken from a whole smoked chicken, grilled thighs 0r legs, pan seared chicken breasts… I’m okay with all of it!
Pick the chicken clean, chop into bit size pieces and toss in a zip bag to add to my salads, sandwiches, pizza, and a whole bunch of other recipes!
I often make a meal to have leftover chicken on purpose. There are so many chicken recipes on Pinterest! You can spend hours saving pins of delicious ideas.
Pinterest inspired these Easy Baked Chicken Taquitos.
They are very simple to put together. The kids even helped me with this recipe!
The taquitos are also very kid friendly. Not spicy at all. They are definitely “Jimmy” approved!
The other thing I love about this recipe is they are freezer friendly. Prepare a double batch and freeze the rolled tortillas before baking in a tight zip bag. When you are ready to cook, just pull them directly from the freezer and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and crispy.
You can use either corn or flour tortillas with this recipe. I personally prefer flour tortillas, but play around and see what you may prefer!
Serve the taquitos with sour cream, pico de gallo, or hot sauce on the side.
- 1/2 cup Onion
- 1 small jalapeño, diced (optional)
- 2 cups Cooked Chicken, shredded
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Half & Half
- 1/4 cup Corn
- 2 tsp Taco Seasoning
- 15-20 Flour or Corn Tortillas (fajita size)
- In a large skillet, saute onions and jalapeños in a tablespoon of oil until softened.
- Add chicken and heat.
- Add cream cheese, sour cream and half & half. Stir until well combined.
- Add corn and taco seasoning. Simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Place a 1/4 cup scoop of filling on edge of tortilla.
- Spread lengthwise and tightly roll.
- Place seam side down on greased baking sheet.
- Continue until filling is gone.
- Brush taquitos with oil.
- Bake at 350˚ F for 10-15 minutes or until tortilla is browned and crispy.
- Serve with sour cream, pico de gallo, or hot sauce.
This batch of easy baked chicken taquitos did not make it to the leftover stage. They were gobbled up by everyone so fast!
I have plans of making another double batch this week and freezing them before anyone realizes I am making them! Summer is here and I am going to need easy, go-to meals for the kids. These will be perfect for a quick lunch!