There is really nothing new under the sun when it comes to marriage advice.
Really, it is a matter of constantly applying what we know we should do and continuing to allow the Lord to change us personally!
I recently found a blogpost on marriage and I loved it so much I pretty much stole everything from that post to give pass on to my City Sisters when we were talking about marriage!
(Check out Monica’s Blog if you are looking for a good blog to follow.)
The following is from a handout I made for our City Sisters. I truly believe that if we apply these principles and pieces of advice in our marriages every single day, we would see a lot more happy couples out there!
Eight Things I Have Learned In Marriage
- Study your man, and accept him how/who he is…
- What matters to him
- What doesn’t matter to him
- What he needs
- What he doesn’t need
- Be His Balance
- Work with him
- Look at his gifts and consider what you want in marriage and then help him complete that puzzle
- Keep Your Identity
- Keep being interesting!
- Have your own interests
- Support your husband in having interests of his own
- Don’t Look to Your Spouse to Fulfill You
- Only God can truly fulfill you
- No one is perfect, putting pressure on someone to be is simply not fair
- Be Excited To See Him
- Stop what you are doing
- Hug and Kiss
- Let him know he has your attention!
- Set the Tone of the Home
- It is not everyone else’s job to make you happy!
- Embrace your role as a Tone-Setter
- Don’t Talk Bad About Your Husband To Anyone EVER!
- If you need help get help
- Be careful about the way you speak to your husband
- Say Good Things about your husband
- Pray for your Spouse!
- It’s hard to be mad at someone you are praying for
- Praying for someone makes your heart tender towards them
- Praying for your spouse makes you think about what he is going through and his needs
This is by no means an exhaustive list. But I have seen the benefits of applying it in my own marriage!
What is the best marriage advice you have ever received?