There is something almost magical about going to a farm and picking apples right from the tree.
The fresh dew on the apples, the crisp air and smells of the orchard, not to mention the freedom to reach above your head and pluck the best looking apple right off the tree makes apple picking a memorable moment.
We recently took the whole family to the Apple Orchard and picked a whole BUSHEL of apples! That’s a LOT of apples my friend! We were able to walk through rows and rows of apple trees. Every couple of rows there was a new variety. Gala, Jonathan, Honeycrisp, and on and on.
The kids had a blast trying all the different apples. Jordan preferred the sweeter varieties and kept handing me apples with one big bite out of them! Hahaha! Apparently this one was just a little too tart!
The girls were total divas sitting in the wagon and being pulled all over the orchard! They were in heaven having all the apples they could eat. I did find a few apples in my bags with tiny little teeth marks in them…
Justin was super thrilled with the fact that the apple orchard we went to had a train and a slide and playground! Not to mention a few animals to look at.
My adventurer, Jayden, was in his element and insisted on leading everyone throughout the orchard. He has no fear and his curiosity often gets the better of him. He absolutely thrived in this environment where he could run and explore using all of his senses. The one downside….BEES!!!! He is an expert at spotting bees after being stung four times at one time last summer. He has no shame in taking off running to get away from bees. And frankly, I don’t blame him for running!!!
With a whole bushel of apples to eat, I have been making all things apple in our house. Apple butter, applesauce, apple pies, and this Apple Crisp! (Ooooo! I just remembered I should make this Caramel Apple Spice Cake too!)
In our house we love the crumble topping. I mean, is there such a thing as too much crumble topping? I think not! There is something wonderful about warm, gooey apples with a crunchy oatmeal topping! Am I right? I am right!
Of course, I made a 9×13 pan of this wonderful dessert. You don’t have to. I have a big family. And we decided that Apple Crisp totally counts as an acceptable breakfast! In fact, did you know that pies were originally made as a breakfast food? It’s true. I read it somewhere on a box… and so of course, that means no further research is necessary. Because I believe pie is also acceptable for breakfast. But this is a whole other post…. So sorry…
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/3 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/3 cup Unsalted Butter (diced)
- 6-8 large Honeycrisp or Granny Smith Apples, peeled and sliced
- 6 tbsp melted Butter
- 2 1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 4 tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp of Salt
- In a medium bowl combine crumb topping ingredients by cutting in the cold butter with a fork or pastry cutter until it resembles small crumbs. Refrigerate crumb topping until ready to spread over apple filling.
- For apple filling, in a medium bowl combine butter, lemon juice milk and vanilla. Stir in brown sugar. Add flour, cinnamon and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Spread apple slices evenly in a greased 9x13 pan. Pour apple filling mixture evenly over apples. Toss to coat.
- Spread crumb topping over apple filling in an even layer.
- Bake at 375˚ for 35-40 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Allow to cool for at least 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with Vanilla Ice Cream or Whipped Cream.
And if you are craving MORE Apple Recipes check out all of our favorites in THIS ROUNDUP!