You know I am in a love affair with chicken thighs. My new favorite way to cook chicken is in my cast iron skillet. Our weekly menu includes at least on skillet chicken dish. Honey BBQ Chicken skillet and Spicy Chili Lime Skillet Chicken have been regular rotations for dinner. And now we have a new one to add to the list… Skillet Garlic & Tomato Chicken.
I am pretty obsessed with Italian food and flavors. I am not sure that I have ever met an Italian dish that I did not like! Italian is so easy to make at home and there are literally thousands of recipes floating around of Pinterest just waiting to be made! Pinterest is a huge inspiration to me. Sometimes I just browse the food and drink category for inspiration for meals the next week. Hardest part about browsing Pinterest is all the dessert recipes and pictures! Give me all the chocolate!!!
My cast iron skillet is still my BFF. I am really using it for most of my cooking now. If you haven’t tried cooking with cast iron, you really should!
I start the chicken in the skillet and then place it in the oven to finish. In this particular recipe, melted mozzarella cheese is the final finish in the oven. Oh. My. Word! It is sooooo good!
We mopped up the tomato sauce from this dish with homemade French Bread. I dare say this meal couldn’t be any more wonderful and delicious!
- 6-8 Chicken Thighs (I used boneless/skinless, but bone in and skin on is fine too)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 c. Flour
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chopped Garlic
- 2 (15 oz) cans diced petite Tomatoes
- 1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (or to taste)
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- 6-8 oz Mozzarella Cheese, Sliced
- Fresh Basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350˚
- Place chicken in a medium bowl. Toss in flour, salt & pepper. Stir to coat.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown chicken turning after 6-7 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a plate on the side.
- Add onions and garlic to skillet and sauté’ until soft.
- Add to skillet tomatoes, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, & poultry seasoning.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken back to the skillet.
- Place skillet in oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven and place mozzarella cheese on top of chicken.
- Place under broiler for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted and browned.
- Sprinkle chopped basil on top.
Just writing this recipe down makes me hungry!!! I just may have to make it again tonight! Economical and delicious is my favorite way to cook.
What is your favorite pan you cook with?
**this post may contain affiliate links