It is a tragedy that some people do not know what Apple Butter is!!! I am making it a goal in life to expose the world to the deliciousness that is Apple Butter. This Instant Pot Apple Butter recipe cuts down the traditional long-cooking times to just mere minutes without compromising any flavor.
Before the Instant Pot came into my life, I lived my days with several slow cookers that would be a slow torture of amazing smells drifting throughout my house. Don’t get me wrong… I LOVE the smell of cinnamon, cloves, and simmering apples… But it was hard to wait all day to dig into that precious apple butter. This slow cooker apple butter was my original recipe.
I wish we had an apple orchard to go apple picking with the kids. The last time we went apple picking the girls were just over a year and we couldn’t post any pictures of them due to our adoption not being finalized. So, just for fun-zies…. Here are some adorable pictures of them eating apples!
The instant pot cuts down the time to just minutes. Depending on the types of apples you use, you may need to use the sauté option on the instant pot to thicken up the apple butter to your desired consistency. Firmer apples that take longer to break down are the ones that you may need the extra time. But only a few minutes as the sauté option is quite hot and can easily burn your apple butter. So please, do not leave it unattended!
I highly recommend using an immersion blender to puree your apple butter to the smooth butter texture. Scooping out hot apples into a blender and pureeing while piping hot can be tricky. My immersion blender was under $30 and soooooo worth it! It’s also the best way to puree soup!
Once the apple butter is done, you can can it for shelf storage, freeze it for up to six months, or eat it within 2 weeks. My family has no issue consuming most of the apple butter within 2 weeks, but I always pretend that I didn’t make a huge batch and hide some in the freeze for those cravings of apple butter on hot biscuits right out of the oven!
Instant Pot Apple Butter
- 6 1/2 lbs Apples (any variety) peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups White Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Apple Juice
- Place all ingredients into instant pot
- Stir to incorporate all ingredients, scraping sides and coating all of the apples in spices & sugar.
- Place Instant Pot lid on and turn to lock. Make sure the pressure valve is set to seal.
- Turn Instant Pot on and set to pressure cook for 20 minutes.
- When timer is done, release pressure valve.
- Use an immersion blender to puree apples into a smooth consistency. (this can also be done in a regular blender, but please, be careful scooping out the hot apples.)
- If the apple butter is watery or not at the thickness you desire, turn Instant Pot to saute and simmer apples for 4-6 minutes stirring constantly to keep apples from burning.
- Store in airtight container in fridge for up to 2 weeks or freezer for up to 6 months.
If you still have an abundance of apples on your counter after this recipe or if you are craving more apple recipes in your life, because pumpkin is NOT the only fall harvest to boast about…. Then hope over to see the BEST Apple Recipes Roundup. All your favorite apple recipes in one place? You are welcome!