This Tomato Basil Skillet Chicken is one of my go-to easy dinners for a weeknight that leaves you with just one dirty pan.
Chicken. It’s what’s for dinner half the week. LOL.
I like chicken, but I NEED other flavors to dominate the dish. I don’t want to taste the chicken. I want to taste the garlic, and herbs, and onion, and all the seasonings to make it over the top delish!
This recipe was inspired by the basil growing in my garden. My container garden is mostly done for the year, but my basil plant is refusing to stop! I love basil. Give me all the bruschetta all day long. But of course, I need more recipes for basil than bruschetta.
Note: if you do not have fresh basil, you can still make this dish with dried basil! Just half the basil amount.
I love my cast iron skillet! What was life like before I welcomed this heavy pan into my kitchen?
If you have not jumped on the cast iron skillet train, let me entice you with all the skillet recipes you can make for dinner the week! CLICK HERE
I also have to gush about the searing factor this skillet brings to the stovetop. Heat the pan on high and watch the seared brown flavors form on the meat and veggies you throw at it.
My favorite chicken part to use in this tomato basil skillet chicken recipe are boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I stock up whenever there is a great sale. I have found that they regularly go on sale in my grocery store every 6 weeks. Almost like clockwork! Check your grocery store ads.
Serve this tomato basil skillet chicken with your favorite pasta or polenta. It’s so delicious!
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1/3 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 cup tomato sauce or marinara sauce
- 3 tbsp fresh basil, julienned
- 2 tbsp garlic, finely diced
- 1 tsp dried Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 cup Half and Half
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil in cast iron skillet.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, & garlic powder.
- Sear chicken in hot skillet. Flip after 4-6 minutes.
- Once chicken has been browned on both sides, remove from skillet and place on a plate.
- Saute' garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute.
- Deglaze pan with red wine and chicken stock.
- Stir in tomato paste.
- Add marinara sauce, Italian seasoning and half of basil.
- Stir in half and half and salt & pepper to taste.
- Return chicken to pan and submerge in sauce.
- Simmer for 15 minutes on medium-low heat or until sauce is thickened and chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle remaining Basil and parmesan cheese over the chicken before serving.
- *Serve with your favorite pasta or polenta
And there you have it! A perfect way to use up the overabundance of fresh basil from the garden and a delicious change up from spaghetti.
Leave a Reply